Monday, January 30, 2012

What Do You Want?

This is going to be a short one.

I recently had the pleasure of listening to a pretty phenomenal speaker - Michael Bungay Stanier - who had the uncanny ability to pull me in.  I've told you previously that my attention span rivals that of a gnat, so for anyone to grab my attention and hold it with such intense passion I'm always impressed.  For those of you who haven't heard of him, he has written a book "Do Less Good Work. Do More GREAT work".  The premise is that we all spend the majority of our time just getting by - doing what we need to do.  I just received an email that resonated that I wanted to share, especially since it came almost immediately after posting my last blog.  I hope you enjoy.

<Taken from "Great Work Kickstarter #4 - Where are you stuck?">

It's hard to do Great Work when you're feeling stuck.
Stuck shows up differently for each of us.
For some it's having a dream but not knowing how to get it.
For others, it's not having a dream and feeling empty.
It can be waiting for your superhero to show (and they're taking their time)
Or it can be feeling responsible for everyone - and feeling exhausted.
However you get stuck - and we all get stuck from time to time, it's part of being human - it has this at its essence:
You only have one way to see the situation...and you don't like what you see.
So where are you feeling stuck right now?
Not sure? Here are some clues...
   Where do you feel in a rut?
   Where do you feel lots of "shoulds" and "musts"
   Where do you feel there is no choice?
   What makes you grit your teeth in frustration?
   What are you tolerating?

Are you starting to see where you might be stuck?

***
For me, this was a powerful message.  I hope it carried some power for you as well.

Michael Bungay Stanier can be found at www.BoxofCrayons.biz - sign up for the Great Work Kickstarters!!

No comments:

Post a Comment