Sunday, January 15, 2012

Thank You

I have my first dissenter. I suppose part of me is more surprised that it took this long. After all, I tend to put my thoughts down on cyber-paper for everyone to read and judge and there's usually at least one person in the world who disagrees with you. Up until now I've received positive reviews of things that I've written, messages from women who can relate to the overall message of the blog. Both married AND single I might add.  Apparently, though, not everyone is as excited about my personal thoughts as I am.

According to this recent dissenter, I'm simply biding my time as a single person until I can meet a man.  I guess this person thinks I'm sitting at home in my old holey granny panties sulking over my relationship status and using the blog as a cry for help.  I believe the word hypocrite was used.  There were lots of other colorful things, but I'll spare you those details.

Here's the thing - if you know me, you know that I like when people disagree with me.  I actually still have the trophy from a winning debate in undergrad.  I appreciate a well thought-out, respectful banter of sharing of opinions.  How can you learn if you aren't willing to have those conversations and actually hear what the other person is saying?  I do not, however, appreciate any sort of name calling.

Also, let me reiterate here - I'm not biding my time for anything.  I actually like me.  I like who I am in this particular moment - how I feel, what I think, what I put down on cyber-paper.  I go out, have "romantic" encounters, have fun and lots of laughs.  That's not to say that my feelings about relationships may not change somewhere down the line.  Why in the crazy world would I ever want to become static?  I've had great ones, I'm sure there's another out there.  But no one ever said you have to determine who you are by the time you hit your 30s. Or 40s. Or 50s. Or any other time in your life.  Or because someone else has decided you should.  We're all on a personal journey - it's impossible not to be if you're alive.  The key is to not get so set in your beliefs that you miss opportunities.

I completely understand (and still disagree with) the stereotype.  I've accepted it.  Oh, and dear dissenter, this isn't the first time I've heard that criticism.  This isn't even the first time I've heard it this weekend.  In fact, I think I may have heard a nicer version of it this morning.

So...thank you to all of the readers who still continue to be yourself despite the dissenters.  We are all strong, beautiful and amazing - no matter what other people may say.

1 comment:

  1. I love reading your blog! I'm 30, single, and dynamic....static for me equals depression. You be you! :)

    ReplyDelete