Sunday, January 22, 2012

Another One Bites the Dust

You may recall a few blog entries back I mentioned a guy I met on a plane during my last-minute trip back to Ohio. He and I were seated next to each other on a teeny tiny puddle jumper headed from Cleveland to Minneapolis and as he sat down he warned me that he hadn't been on a plane since he was a kid. Being the ever-therapist that I am, I jumped in on that and we spent the next 2 short hours in constant conversation.  I learned quite a bit about him in that time - he even invited me out to his holiday party - and we exchanged information with the plans of keeping in touch and meeting up again at some point when I was back in Ohio for Christmas.  Airplane Guy (note: names have been changed in this story to protect the innocent) was a really nice guy, super cute, quite intelligent, had an interesting career (he flies all over creation), and genuinely seemed interested in me.  We started an email exchange within days of our meeting.

I know what you're thinking...I'll tell you what happened.

Christmas came and unfortunately his work sent him out to Daytona Beach the week I spent in Ohio.  We continued to exchange emails thinking we would meet up at some point, somewhere down the line (remember, he flies all over creation for work).

Okay, so here it is.  Ask any of my really good friends and they will tell you that I'm horrible at keeping in contact if you're not actually in my face on a daily basis. I have the best friend ever who, even after 17 years of friendship, still sounds absolutely shocked when I answer the phone or return a call.  I'm constantly moving, can't sit still for long periods of time and always have to have something to occupy me.  Phone calls longer than 5 minutes do me in.  Especially with a smartphone.  With some people (no one reading this blog of course), I speakerphone them and multi-task.  I know it's horrible...and not very friend-like but don't judge me - I have the attention span of a gnat.  Perhaps this is my issue with relationships...or one of them at least.

Emails are even harder.  I check my email a bazillion times a day, but if I don't respond immediately I actually forget to respond at all.  And this is what has happened with Airplane Guy.  I was, believe it or not, interested in this guy - but I just looked through my emails and realized I haven't responded in 2 weeks.  What exactly is the cut-off for that? Anyone? I'm not even sure it's okay to reply this far down the road, but I know I can't possibly be the only one facing this particular dilemma.  For crying out loud, someone needs to write a book on social media/social network relationships.  Technology is making this a little too difficult for me.

Or maybe, just maybe, this is my subconscious telling me something...

Either way, I think I just chalked up another casualty.

2 comments:

  1. Jen
    There is no limit on that. Send him an email and tell him you have been way swamped and to read your blog. Trust me if he is anyone in the social media scene, he will get it. You and I are very much the same. Only difference is for me, I will find someones info and email them months later and to my surprise they are really receptive. Time is really only in our minds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely respond! What do you have to lose if you do? You might be pleasantly surprised. Plus ... I don't want you to break his heart! =D

    ReplyDelete