Wednesday, January 18, 2012

What Are We Waiting For?

There's a new app that's gaining some notoriety within a few of my circles - the "If I Die" app being promoted through Facebook.  The premise is simple: people have the opportunity to create a video or text message of whatever they want to be released by loved ones they trust upon their death.  Part of me is encouraged by the release of this application as it will get an entire new generation to start thinking about what could potentially happen, that life is never promised.  I watched the entire marketing video on the "If I Die" website and couldn't help thinking that no matter how intriguing it is....what would the world be like if we all did this now?

What if everyone let down their guard, ignored the fears and doubts and said everything they needed to say to everyone they needed to say it to?  If we all took a moment today to tell people what they meant to us, to use the words "I love you"?  If we let go of anger and bitterness and forgave those we cared about so deeply?  If we said "I'm sorry" to those we've hurt?  If we thanked the people in our lives who left the footprints on our hearts?  What would this do for our lives?  For the world?

Most of you know that by the time the plane touched down in Ohio three years ago, my mother was already on a ventilator, not consciously aware of her surroundings.  I have so many regrets from that moment in my life - things I never had the chance to say one last time, things she never got to hear.  Between you, me and the cyber-walls, this is something I never ever want to repeat.

So, then the question becomes - What are we waiting for?

May you all find the words that need to be spoken today...

No comments:

Post a Comment