Thursday, September 22, 2011

Friends Don't Let Friends #1

Friends don't let friends date good friends of friends.


I don’t have many rules when it comes to dating except for those concerning basic hygiene, no socks with sandals, and no sleeveless shirts on a first date (thanks to my friend Julie for this one), but this is one rule I’ve managed to stick with for quite some time.  I’ve learned, through experience, that the whole friends of friends thing can potentially cause some serious issues.  If it doesn’t work you end up dealing with the complete awkwardness when you’re at the same functions and then the phase of what I like to call “friend reallocation” - the time when others have to decide who they like better.  And with that comes the dissection of what went wrong.  I know this way of dating has worked for some people....I just have never been one of them.

So usually when I hear a good friend start to say something to the effect of, “I have this really great guy friend” I’m already 4 steps out the door before the end of the sentence.

But, in an effort to move this blog along, let me just tell you that I caved on my rule.  I decided to give it a whirl.  I decided to go out on a date with a "really good friend" of a really good friend.  While the date when just fine (He's a good guy and I’m fairly certain I could carry a conversation with a brick wall), by the end of the night we both realized it ended up fitting nicely into the “once and done” category.

So, that brings me back to the whole "friends of friends" dilemma.  Now, if you’ll excuse me, I must go prepare myself for the inevitable, “But why Jen? You guys would have been so PERFECT together...”

No comments:

Post a Comment