Monday, August 15, 2011

The Art of Photography: A Review

So I can't take a picture to save my life.  I just don't have that creative eye and, due to circumstances beyond my control, I shake ever so slightly, making every photo I take a tiny bit skewed.  I tend to tell people that my sister got the brains in the family, my brother got the artistic talent, and I ended up with a hodgepodge.  I did, however, inherit the ability to appreciate subtle beauty.  So when the invitation to attend the opening reception of The Art of Photography Show came about, I jumped at it.  I had 3 main reasons for attending the opening - 1, I was invited.  There aren't many rules I "live by," but this is one hard and fast rule I apply to my life.  If you're ever invited to the opening or premiere of something, go.  I've found that the premiere holds the most powerful and purest artistic rendition of just about anything.  It's also the time you can get the most swag.  Which brings me to #2, Each attendee received the catalog of the photos in the show.  It also included artist notes and inspirations.  We each have our stories - stories that define us, make us the person we are.  But sometimes just reading the stories isn't enough - which is where #3 comes in, The artists were there.  This gave me the opportunity to meet and mingle with those who took their hearts, their lives, their work and put it out there for everyone to see.  They took the chance to stand there and listen to random people critique each flash of light, each point of view.  But the most valuable part was that we get the chance to hear the stories firsthand.

I tend to gravitate toward art that depicts nature.  Take one half-step into my apartment and you'll immediately see my admiration for Ansel Adams - his use of texture and light, and the clarity and depth of each photo.  Most specifically, this one:


I assumed as I walked into this show that I would be drawn toward those photos as well.  That's what I get for assuming...

The opening was hot, crowded and phenomenal.  I love the Lyceum.  No matter what your reason is for being there, you can't help but be energized as you walk through the front doors.  There's a vibe there that is second to none, and it was the perfect location for the art show.  Moving around the opening was tricky because of the number of people attending (and while the Lyceum is amazing, it isn't very big) but the layout of the photographs made it easy to just make big circles once you got used to squishing yourself between random people.

I did the big circle, then came to 3 separate photos by Christopher Capozziello.  I found myself transfixed and not completely certain why.  All 3 were photos of a man in different situations from a series entitled "The Distance Between Us"....not the typical "art" I usually stop at.  I stood in front of these 3 photos for at least 20 minutes.  I knelt to get a better look at the bottom one, almost getting trampled as people didn't see me.  I moved closer to the exhibit and knelt there even longer.  There was something about these 3 photos...they were dark but I was in awe.  I ended up moving away, making a few more large circles around the room and returning to that one particular exhibit.  I couldn't stay away...and when I opened my catalog I finally realized why.  Capozziello's photos in this exhibit depict the journey he's shared with his twin brother who has cerebral palsy.   He attempts (and succeeds brilliantly) in showing the angst and despair that accompany disease.  I was amazed by what he was able to capture in just one quick click.  If you want to see the photos that hooked me, here you go:

Aevum - Capozziello

Long story short - if you have the opportunity between now and October 23 to visit the Lyceum, GO.  You won't be disappointed.  While I definitely didn't agree with the judges' #1 (I don't honestly think people wrapped in shrink wrap constitutes my type of art), there will definitely be something that draws you in.  And who knows - you may even see me there - since I plan to make this a repeated trip.




No comments:

Post a Comment