Sunday, March 18, 2012

Tiny Ripples

It's true that my life, like everyone else's, has had its share of potholes and brick walls.  Through all of the tragedies and triumphs though, one thing holds true - the universe has surrounded me with exactly the right people in exactly the right moments.  I'm not sure I will ever have the words to adequately describe the strength and support I receive from them, but those people have left enduring marks on my heart.

I have to admit, I was a little caught off-guard by the response to my last posting.  I tend to go off on tangents, especially in areas in which I am passionate, and this was no exception.  Through emails, phone calls and public postings (thank you to a very dear friend for sharing for others to see), I realized that my one tiny ripple reached more people than I could have ever imagined.

Within 48 hours of that posting, I received this poem.  Tonight I want to share it with you.  For all of my readers, both those I know and those I have never met, thank you for allowing me the safe place to open up:

I'm Glad I Touched Shoulders With You

There's a comforting thought at the close of a day
When I'm weary and lonely and sad
That sort of takes hold of my crusty old heart
and bids it be merry and glad.
It gets in my soul and drives out the blues,
and it finally thrills through and through:
It is just a sweet memory that chants the refrain,
I'm glad I touched shoulders with you.

Did you know you were brave,
Did you know you were strong?
Did you know that I waited and prayed
and was cheered by your simplest word?
Did you know that I longed for the smile on your face?
For the sound of your voice ringing true?
Did you know I grew stronger and better because
I have merely touched shoulders with you?

I'm glad that I live, that I battle and strive
For the place that I know I must fill;
I am thankful for sorrows; I'll meet with a grin
What fortune may send, good or ill.
I may not have wealth, I may not be great,
But I know I shall always be true,
For I have for eternity that love that you gave
Because I rubbed shoulders with you.

-Author Unknown

May you all continue to be that light for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment