Sunday, December 11, 2011

Single at the Holidays

Just recently someone was telling me her plans for New Year's which involved some fundraising event...meant for singles.  She's slightly older than I am (okay, she's in her 50s) and single but she went on and on and ON about this party.  Then she says, "You really should do that too.  You won't end up alone on New Year's."

Huh?

Okay, okay, okay - I get it.  I'm single.  It's the holidays.  Many holiday gatherings are geared toward the relationship-prone.  Invitations come addressed to +1 which, unfortunately, is not a Google+ reference.  I just met a guy on a plane who offered to fly me out to Indianapolis for his company holiday party.  Yes, you read that correctly.  I met the guy on the plane and after 2 hours of conversation he said he'd fly me out to go with him to the party.  Apparently, company gatherings for single men can be just as uncomfortable as for single women.  But I digress.

I stood there trying to imagine what she was picturing my New Year's Eve was going to be.  Did she think I'd be sitting on my couch alternating between crying and shoving large spoonfuls of high fat content ice cream into my mouth as I watched the ball drop all alone wishing beyond all human comprehension that I wasn't single?  Really? (Side note: I have actually done that. I'm not superwoman for crying out loud.  But not this year, and I didn't really appreciate the assumption.)

Let me point out something here that I thought (until now) was too obvious for words...just because I'm single doesn't mean I'm going to be alone.  I actually have New Year's plans.  Believe it or not.

So please, please, PLEASE do not pity your single friends at the holidays.  Some may be choosing to be single, some may just need your support.  But what none of us need is pity (or the pity-invitation).

Happy (Single) Holidays!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment