Sunday, March 20, 2011

Yes, I'm single.

I'm going to be 32 this year.  And yes, I'm single.

And before you even go there - no, I'm not a lesbian.

Apparently you get to a point in your life where people believe that after a certain age, with no man in sight, with no prospects of marriage on the horizon, well then, there must be something wrong with you.  Case in point:  I was at work one day talking with co-workers about visiting some particular So-Cal place.  I used the word "We"....and that's where it started.  Below is the conversation that ensued....

Co-Worker (who by the way is a lot older): "Oh, so you and your husband?"
Me: "No, I'm not married."
Co-Worker: "Oh......" dramatic pause here, and it really did happen. "Your.......partner?"

Really?  REALLY?  So at 31, if I'm not married with children, if people like me and think I'm a good catch, then I MUST be a lesbian?

Here's another conversation that happened recently (please keep in mind here that I'm single):
Other person: "So when are you getting married?"
Me: "Somewhere between now and never."
Other person: "You really need to get married soon Jen, because you would make SUCH a great mom."
Me: "Thanks?" (In my head I was thinking - maybe, but last time I checked I didn't need to get married for that)

So this is the blog of my life as an almost 32-year old single female and all of the wonderfully fun and exciting moments that pop up as my friends tell me they're getting married or having babies or settling down or what not and question what's actually wrong with me in the process.

More dramatic stories to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment